top of page

Planning Permission

Throughout 2022, we have submitted more planning applications to Sheffield City Council than any other agent.

Our experience overseeing planning applications on behalf of clients means we have a wealth of knowledge to advise the best design choices to not only meet your needs but to have planning permission granted.

There are different types of planning applications. Below is our quick guide to the types of domestic applications we most commonly submit for our customers with a more in depth look in to each after. 

Plans For Extensions Planning Permission Quick Guide.png

Householder Planning Permission


What is involved in a Householder Planning Application?

This type of planning application is needed for proposals to alter or enlarge a single house (not a flat) and includes works within the boundary/garden such as raised decking.

Householder applications do not cover proposals affecting flats, more than one house or change of use. These projects require Full Planning Permission.

Below are some of the types of projects you will need Householder Planning Permission for:

  • Single storey extensions over a certain height and projection from the rear and side elevation

  • Two storey extensions

  • Loft conversions that increase the volume by a certain percentage

  • Walls and fences

  • Porches larger than 3sq/m

  • Outbuildings

  • Garages

How much does it cost?
A Householder Planning Application costs £238 inclusive of the Planning Portal admin fee.

How long does it take?
Householder Planning Applications take a minimum of 8 weeks from submission to be decided.

If the application is for a more complex project or needs negotiation between us and the planning officer then this time frame is usually longer.

Permitted Development


What is covered by Permitted Development?

You don’t need planning permission for all projects. Permitted Development allows you to carry out several types of building projects without the need to submit any type of planning application.


Permitted Development rights do not apply in certain areas such as if you live in a Conservation Area or if your house is newly built.


This is the same as Householder Planning Permission in that Permitted Development also only applied to houses, not flats, maisonettes or other buildings.


Types of work covered by Permitted Development include:

  • Loft conversions with a rear dormer

  • Single storey rear extensions up to 3m on a semi-detached property

  • Single storey rear extensions up to 4m on a detached property

  • Single storey side extensions up to half the width of the original house


If you are unsure whether your home or project is covered by Permitted Development, we can provide further information at your initial visit once we have more details such as your address and what you are looking to achieve with your home improvement project. 


How much does it cost?
There is no application required for Permitted Development.


How long does it take?
When we have finalised your plans you can start building more or less straight away. 


We ask customers to let us know a minimum of four weeks before their builder is due to start so we are able to submit their building control application and confirm any structural elements. 

Prior Approval


What is covered by Prior Approval?

Prior Approval applications are used for single storey rear extensions that project between 4 and 8 metres on detached houses and 3 and 6 metres on semi-detached and terraced houses. On all types of house the extension can be up to 4m height in total and up to 3m at the eaves of the extension.


As with permitted development the external materials of the proposed extension must match the existing house. For example if the existing house is brick, the extension must be brick to match. 


How much does it cost?

Prior approval applications have a fee of £128 including the admin fee.


How long does it take?

Applications take a minimum of 6 weeks providing no neighbours object. Notifications will be sent to any property that shares a boundary with yours.

bottom of page